Friday, July 3, 2009


Fortino Mario Alfonso Moreno Reyes (1911-1993) or more commonly known as "Cantinflas" has been a life-long hero to me. He was a comedic genius, yes, but what appealed to me was his palpable sense of humanity. I never tire of his films. There are about fifty, my favorite being "Ahí está el detalle" (There's the rub). Only two were in English, of these my fave is "Around the World in Eighty Days". Cantinflas played Phileas Fogg's unflappable assistant Passeportout. Next you rent the DVD watch for Cantinflas. Charlie Chaplan called him "the greatest comedian in the world; With a huge smile I just call him Cantinflas.

3 comments:

Johnny B. Dangerous said...

Name me the first one I should watch, my friend.

Maria said...

i could not agree with you more...he was brilliant.

mick huerta said...

Sr. Dangerous:

I suggest you begin with the two films in English - 'Around the World in Eighty Days' & 'Pepe - That's Me'. Then all the others will fall into place with subtitles if you don't speak Espanol. Make popcorn and sprinkle with chile powder for a well rounded cinematic experience. Happy viewing!