Tuesday, August 25, 2009

An Autumn so Bright you'll need Shades!!!

Not quite September and I have yet to begin thinking about an encroaching autumnal equinox. No doubt, I'll come to terms with the change of season but not just yet. The gardens are bumper crop perhaps due to the ample rains of June, years of prepping the soil or a combination of all of the above. No explaining it really. It's just time to revel in the garden and the kitchen.

I received a hefty hook-neck squash from my gardening brother Joe and matched it with the tomatoes growing at my house. The colors combined pop like a tropical flower, full of life and urgently vibrant. Oh, how I love this time of year.

OK, this recipe is so simple, I feel a little shy in sharing it. But give it a try with a gift from your squash fairy (everyone has at least one), you'll love it. So will your family and guests!

2 cups Squash
One hand full of Cherry Tomatoes
Splash of Chicken Broth
Splash fresh OJ
3 Tbls Puree of Roasted Red Peppers (or Ajvar)
Mince of garlic & onion
Salt & Pepper
And a pinch of Herbes de Provence, if you like.

Cook over med-high heat 'til the squash softens. I've been serving this over Crostini slices smeared with goat cheese. Add a salad to the side, dinner's done quickly. I find a dry Spanish Rose Wine (Rosado) is perfect to round out this offering.

P.S. I love using a Mandoline. It makes veggie prep simple and the clean-up is fast!

No comments: